Sunday, February 7, 2010

Meet Al (The Quiet One)


As a child I had always been fascinated by how certain objects sounded when they were struck with another object. My first influence was The Beatles; specifically Ringo Starr. My parents bought me my first legitimate set of drums when I was 9 years old. Before that I was banging on pots, pans, soup bowls, table tops, garbage can lids...anything that I could get my hands on. I learned how to read rhythmic notation in the 5th grade when I enrolled in my school's band program. I was involved with top 40 dance bands, marching bands, and symphonic wind ensembles throughout my formative years. I am a Berklee College Of Music alumnus.


I have always been fascinated by musicians with eclectic sensibilities, but my musical tastes range across a broad spectrum of genres. My influences include (but are not limited to): The Beatles, Frank Zappa, Miles Davis, Kings Of Leon, Return To Forever, Brand X, Yes, Stuart Copeland, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Parliament-Funkadelic, Incubus, Thelonious Monk, Radiohead, Andre Segovia, Vinnie Colaiuta, Silversun Pickups, Allan Holdsworth, Terry Bozzio, Rage Against The Machine, The Dixie Dregs, Ani DiFranco, Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky, etc. I am an adherent to the musical philosophy that there are only two kinds of music: good and bad.

No comments: